ENGLAND, circa 1685
The shield, set within a scroll-edged cartouche, painted with the arms of ‘Pierrepont’: argent, semé of cinquefoils gules, and a lion rampant sable; and ‘Greville’: sable, on a cross engrailed or five pellets, within a bordure engrailed of the second. Topped by an Earl’s coronet above a grotesque mask.
This shield commemorates the marriage, in 1685, of William Pierrepont, 4th Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (c.1662-1690) and Anne (1670-1702), daughter and co-heir of Robert Greville, 4th Baron Brooke, of Beauchamps Court.
William Pierrepont, 4th Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (c.1662-1690): William was the second son of Robert Pierrepont of Thoresby, Nottinghamshire, and his wife Elizabeth Evelyn. He was born at West Dean, Wiltshire, and entered Trinity College, Oxford, in 1681. He succeeded his brother as Earl of Kingston in 1682. In 1683 he purchased land in the hays of Bilhagh in Sherwood Forest, and further land in Perlethorpe from the Crown in order to form Thoresby Park. In 1689 and 1690 he acted as Colonel of a Regiment of Foot, Lord Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire, Chief Justice in Eyre North of the Trent, and High Steward of Kingston-upon-Hull. In September 1690, William died of apoplexy at Holme Pierrepont, Nottinghamshire. He was succeeded as 5th Earl by his brother Evelyn Pierrepont.